Monday, June 3, 2013

PROLOGUE



The more I open myself up to the idea that I can do something, the closer I get to thinking I'm capable of anything.  From the day I put in my two weeks notice in at work and every day since I've been affirmed that I am making the right decision.  I'm going to be a bike racer.  

I read The Alchemist by Paul Coelho a little over a year ago and I'm a strong believer in the theme that "when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."  I want this, and everything is falling into place.

The last few races I've done have me chomping at the bit eager for the long summer that will include about 28 days of racing in a two month period.  Here's a recap:



Wilmington Grand Prix - NCC: Wilmington, DE
One more week of Work!


Monkey Hill Prologue - 3rd place, Sharing the podium with two Hincapie Development Pro riders.



NCC Criterium - 25 minute solo breakaway picking up 5 premes and still being able to finish top 20 after the hard effort.


Killington Stage Race: Killington, VT
First Race Unemployed!


Stage 1, Circuit Race - 1st place: Attacked 2km before KOM to solo for 15km finishing 37 seconds ahead of a charging peloton.
Stage 2, Road Race - 1st Place: Came into final climb 1:30 behind small breakaway with about 9 riders left in our group.  Took the climb full gas up and over the final climb catching all riders and then finishing solo ahead of the next placed rider by over a minute pushing my overall lead going into the final stage to around 2 minutes.
Stage 3, Time Trial - 2nd Place: Did the first half at about 90% to keep from blowing up and then went all out the second half to surprise myself with a second place result wrapping up the overall GC and another day on the podium.


Base Camp International - NCC: Basking Ridge, NJ
Almost does count...

Base Camp is another pro race on the National Criterium Calendar I wanted to tune up with before my trip.  It's ridiculously hard and fast and requires a lot of discipline to get a result.  I did everything exactly as planned until about 14 laps to go on the 1.1 mile course where I found myself following one other rider through the start finish with a small gap on the field.  Next thing I knew we were clear of the field and rolling very well together.  We had opened the gap up to 22 seconds with only 8 laps to go and I knew we were not going to be joining the field again to elicit a result and our glory would be had making UnitedHealthcare reel us in at the last moment.  Like clockwork the blue train of UHC rolled by us on the back stretch of the last lap.  I sat up immediately not worried about trying to hang on for a top 20.  I felt like I had made my mark on the race and I hope the right people took notice, because I'll be doing it again.  And again.


Time to go!

That leads me to this week.  I'm finally taking a rest week.  I need it because I've been going pretty hard  and trying to get everything together after quitting and before traveling.  I took a couple days out in Green Ridge State Forest and now I'm just focused on trying to recharge and sharpen up with the invaluable support of my new coach, Jeremiah Bishop, to have me throwing some blows at the Air Force Cycling Classic - NCC in Clarendon at 12:05PM Saturday and Crystal City Sunday at 11:00AM.  Both of these races are in my backyard in Arlington, VA with the Clarendon Cup being the MAIN EVENT along Clarendon and Wilson Blvd's where I'll tow the line for 100 1km laps of arguably the hardest criterium racing in the country.  Plenty of places to grab a bite or drink along the course and a full morning of amateur racing and expo area for additional entertainment.

Please come out and support me, my team, and the event before I set off for next couple months.  Me and a few of my teammates are leaving immediately after the Crystal Cup on Sunday to make our way towards Minnesota.  We start the 5-day 6-stage Nature Valley Grand Prix the following Wednesday and want to get there as soon as possible to loosen up the legs and because we're all ready to start this adventure as soon as possible.

Muscle Milk showing me love!

Ron Knox - Camper Extraordinair!

A rooster-duck.

We saw a turtle.

Karma by the cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment