Wednesday, May 8, 2013

No more waiting. Here goes everything.

I very recently emailed pretty much anyone I've ever known.  I've drawn a lot of inspiration from people I've known my whole life and from people I've spent only a few fortunate moments with.  Everything I've become and will do is a result of the interactions I've had and I feel compelled to share whatever happens next with as many who are interested.  I can hardly think of a thing to say that isn't cliche, but you only live once.  If you have a dream... you better go after it because it's not going to wait for you and you are the only one who can have it.  It is yours.

Tim

Tour of Page County: April, 2013


--------------------------------

Dear Family and Friends,

For some of you it's been a long time coming and for some you are probably wondering where the hell I've been.  I've taken the first step to following a dream I can't stop dreaming.  Last time I sent a giant email blast to everyone I knew I was off to East Africa on a mission to live a life full of adventure and love, doing what I was passionate about; put way too simply, "Save the world!"  An enthusiastic effort that I wasn't able to complete.  The experience was not one I would trade for anything but I ran into so many unknowns that left me off-the-map for a while and I'm looking forward to opening the line of communication wide-open.

I started blogging in an effort to share what I was up to a few years back when cycling and bike racing started becoming much more than a hobby.  It has become a lifestyle.  It has spawned the next great adventure and dream that I want to share with you.  I will be blogging frequently at UnderTheRugg.

The Big Announcement.

In two weeks I will be leaving my day job to race my bike all over the country.  I have had a stressful but rewarding career in Information Technology to date, but I don't want to miss out on an opportunity I have to just race my bike for a while.  I have been saving money for a while to buy a house, start a business, or settle down... but I'm just too damn antsy.  I'm going to use my safety net to take a leap into the world of bike racing, health, and fitness for as long as I can.  I have passed on a few opportunities and taken some that I wasn't ready for, but I am ready for what I have planned for this summer and beyond. 

This summer I'm going to be racing in over ten states from May to August racing over 40 race days with my teammates from the Kelly Benefit Strategies / LSV squad.  The most exciting part is that this is going to be a cross-country back and forth exploration of the country and of ourselves.  I've toured before with my rock band in College and with Invisible Children, Inc. after that, so I know what it's like to be on the road in cramped conditions where everything that can go wrong, will.  But a counterbalance of all the generosity and good in doing something you love will make it all right.  Me and three teammates are tentatively cramming all our bikes, gear, clothes, and lives into a soccer van and are driving from the east coast to the midwest to the west coast and back in a two month period.  We'll be joined at races along the way by other teammates as well based on their availability.   

The three teammates I will be spending the whole trip with are exceptional young athletes with more potential to race at the highest level than any other kids I know.  I affectionately refer to them as kids because I'm not getting any younger at 27 and they have an unbridled ambition to be professional bike racers and reach their dreams that can only be described as "kid-like".  They are so lucky to have that and I am so lucky to still have that bit of careless but calculated longing to accomplish something that seems or seemed impossible until now.

You can get to know a little about my team at www.lateralstressvelo.com and my schedule for the summer is listed below.  Please stay in touch.  Please come to a race if you can.  I can't wait to share the videos/pictures/and experiences along the way!  I'm in for the ride of my life.  No regrets! 




Race Schedule:

May 17/18 - Wilmington Grand Prix - Wilmington, DE
May 19 - Kelly Cup - Baltimore, MD
June 2 - Leonardtown Criterium - Leonardtown, MD
June 8/9 - Air Force Cycling Classic - Clarendon/Crystal City, VA.   These are two of the most exciting Pro Criteriums on the NCC Calendar to watch so I hope to see as many of you as possible here before we take off to the Mid-West!
June 12-16 - Nature Valley Grand Prix - Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
June 20-30 - Tour of America's Dairyland - Milwaukee Greater Area, WI
July 4-7 - Elite National Championship Time Trial, Road Race, and Criterium - Madison, WI
July 13 - Boise Twilight Criterium - Boise, ID
July 17-21 - Cascade Cycling Classic - Bend, OR
July 27/28 - Stage Race in Colorado - Mountains, CO
Aug 2-4 - Tour of the Catskills - Catskills, NY
Aug 10/11 - Millersburg Stage Race - Millersburg, PA
Aug 17 - Mid-Atlantic Time Trial Championships - Church Creek, MD
Aug 24 - Chris Thater Memorial - Binghamton, NY
Aug 30-Sept 2 - Green Mountain Stage Race - Burlington, VT
Sept 7/8 - Buck's County Classic, UCI - Buck's County, PA











No comments:

Post a Comment